Monday, July 19, 2010

The Details

Location: Port-Au-Prince, Haiti
Dates: August 7 - 14, 2010
Group: Go Journeys, Hope Presbyterian Church

Why: Since I have been home, I have promised myself that I would move to Colorado by January of 2010...ok, well maybe June. As June has come and gone and my deadline has once again been pushed back (I am moving in October), I decided to use my vacation time to go on a trip. At first, I thought about Canada or New Zealand - there is actually a famous triathlon in New Zealand in August which I considered doing. However, not one of the leisure options was really affordable and the time lines were not matching up with my schedule. Then one day in church, I heard about a trip to Belize. It was the right price and the right time. One week later I signed up for a fun filled week teaching VBS in Belize! Then one week later the trip was changed to construction work in Haiti... how about that for a change of plans. I decided not to pull out from the trip despite the dramatic changes. I have never been on a mission trip, and what a way to start. Haiti is obviously in great need. I know I will experience cultural shock and will see devastation and pain. Though I have hesitations and fears, I am excited to see the hope and joy that is present even in the darkest of circumstances. I have few expectations for the trip but I know that I will see a different world from the one I live. I hope my life will change.

If you would like to make a donation, please send a check made out to Hope Church with my name and Haiti -GO Journey in a note with the check or on the " for " line.
Hope Church
8500 Walnut Grove Road
Cordova, TN 38018
Thoughts and prayers are greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment